Thursday, March 3, 2011

Legally Blind

This post was sent to me by a friend of mine, Josh Evans.  Enjoy!

I don't know if you guys know this about me, but I am legally blind without corrective lenses. I wear contact lenses most of the time, but I have glasses that I have to wear when I'm not wearing the contacts. The last thing I do before going to sleep is take off my glasses... and the first thing I do in the morning is put them back on. I know that my vision is screwed up, and if I'm not wearing corrective lenses, my entire perception of the world around me is going to be screwed up too. I would never try to drive, read, or do anything else without my glasses, because I just wouldn't be able to see it straight.

It's funny, though, how I forget that this same principle applies to my spiritual life. In my heart's natural state, I am spiritually blind. My entire perspective of the world around me is screwed up.

  • When I get stressed out, I don't naturally know the right way to react. 
  • When I have to make an important decision, I don't naturally know the proper way to handle it. 
  • When I look at my fiancee, I don't naturally know how to love her like I should. 
  • When I go to work, I don't naturally feel motivated to love and serve people.
  • When I get my paycheck, I don't naturally want to honor the Lord with my resources.

God has to provide the proper perspective... so I have to wake up in the morning and put my "glasses" on.  Challenge yourself this week: maybe you already do this and maybe you don't, but make it a point to spend the first minutes of your day begging God to correct your vision. This way, your choices and your motivations throughout the day will not have to depend on your righteousness.

No comments:

Post a Comment