Friday, March 11, 2011

Bodyguard

"Boomerang"
Several years ago, I had a job that required me to travel from time to time.  As I waited for my flight home in Chicago’s O’Hare Airport, I saw a unique sight.

Walking down the center of the terminal was the largest man I have ever seen.  He stood around 7 ft tall and weighed well over 400 lbs.  This man was not fat!  He was extremely muscular and looked unbelievably tough.  He was wearing a long leather overcoat with a black rimmed hat.  Within a few feet, I noticed a man walking directly behind him (literally in his shadow).  It was comedian / actor Steve Harvey, and the enormous and fearful looking man was his bodyguard “Boomerang.”  It was a sight that I have never forgotten.

I thought of this as I read Luke chapter 1 this week.  As I read it, I came across the passage of scripture about Zechariah.  Here are a few things about Zechariah you need to know to set up this story:

  • Zechariah was a high priest.  His job was to intercede for the people of Israel.
  • While he was at work one day burning incense inside the temple, the angel Gabriel approached him and told him that he was going to have a son with his wife Elizabeth.
  • Since they were old in age, Zechariah questioned Gabriel.  In return, Gabriel punished his lack of faith by taking away his speech for the entire time Elizabeth was pregnant with their son.  (Over 9 months)
  • Their son John grew up and became John the Baptist.

On the day John the Baptist was circumcised, Zechariah’s first words were praise to God (Luke 1:67-79).  During his song of praise to God, he pointed out that through Jesus (the messiah to be) we have:

  • Salvation from our enemies (Satan)
  • Salvation from the hand of all who hate us
  • We are rescued from our enemies
  • We are able to serve Him without fear.

The first words out of Zechariah’s mouth after 9 months were “Jesus is our bodyguard!”  We have nothing to fear because Jesus will conquer death, protect us from Satan, and save us from our sin.  He is our ultimate source of protection.

In the same way Steve Harvey walked in Boomerang’s shadow, we also walk in the shadow of Jesus, all the way until the day of judgment.  If you know Christ as your Savior, Jesus not only protects us from Satan but will stand in front of us on the day of judgement and offer 100% protection from a Holy God.  He will say “This one is with me!”

Today, live your life in such a way that is without fear.  Serve God wholeheartedly knowing that Jesus is protecting you every step of the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment