Sunday, March 20, 2011

Have A Little Faith

I have always been impressed with those who can/jar/preserve  their own vegetables from a garden.  To me, there is something satisfying when you twist that metal ring and pry the lid off of that old mason jar.  That’s when you hear the top “pop”.  I love that sound!

Last summer I decided to grow my own cucumbers so I could make “bread and butter” pickles.  The recipe called for mustard seeds.  As I stood there boiling the cucumbers I placed a mustard seed in the palm of my hand.  It was so tiny!  Immediately my mind ran back to the words of Jesus saying “…..if you have faith as small as a mustard seed you can move mountains.”  (Matthew 17:20)  As the cucumbers slowly became pickles, I thought to myself “…..what in the world does that mean?  Could I literally move Mt. Rushmore, Mt. Everest or Mt. Hood with a little faith?”

The answer was revealed to me a few months later.  I had a long spiritual conversation with a teenager I know and love.  Our discussion was about whether there really was a God and if the Bible was real.  As I was explaining the Gospel to him the point was made in our discussion that you can’t believe the Bible with your mind.  You have to believe it with your heart. 

Our mind cannot grasp how the Red Sea parted, how the walls of Jericho fell, how Jesus walked on water or raised himself and others from the dead.  “How do you belive such things?” he asked?  I replied “It takes a little faith.”  Isn’t that so true for you and me?  The Bible seems far fetched for a reason.  God wants us to know that He is God.  The only way to believe it is to say out loud to God “God, I can’t believe this with my mind, but I will believe it in my heart because you say it’s true.”

Once you take that little baby step of faith, God will reveal himself to you in a million different ways for the rest of your life.  Through prayer, you can ask your heavenly Father for anything!  God is all-powerful and has unlimited resources.  If your request is within His will, He can make it happen. 

It’s like seeing behind a closed door.  You have to open it with a little faith….the exact size of a mustard seed.

No comments:

Post a Comment