Tuesday, February 15, 2011

End Of The Line

Did you know that on average it takes 30,000 gallons of water to fill a normal sized swimming pool?  You may be asking yourself “why do you know that?”  It's because last month my wife and I had a water leak at our house that would fill this swimming pool 11 times over.  That's right:  340,000 gallons of water leaked from our water line, and we are now required to pay.

Let me give you some background on our water situation at our home.  When we built our house 2 years ago, we found out that we were literally at the end of the line.  The main water line that services hundreds of houses before us ends with us.  Therefore, due to the amount of pressure, we could have a leak of this magnitude and never know it.  We know it now!

I spoke with the water company and they did agree to knock of a little bit from our bill, but it was still astronomical.  With one last ditch effort, I decided to go before the Water Board and plead my case to see what leniency they would be willing to offer.  They were very polite and listened to my case.

The verdict was this: everybody has to pay, you have to pay too.  (Side note:  this is not a rant against the water company.  They were very gracious and did what they had to do.  I appreciate them working with us.)

The reason I am writing you is that during this process, my mind began to wander.

What if:  a man came along and decided to pay the whole amount for me?  Better yet.......

What if:  a man came along and said "I will not only pay for your water leak, but I will pay you for all the water you will use from this day forward!"  Now we're talking!  But..........

What if:  a man came along and said "I'm not only going to pay for your leak and future purchases, but I will also reimburse you for all of the water you have ever used since you were born!  All you have to do is ask!"

What if:  my leaking water line was really my sin?

Jesus Christ died and paid for our sins, free and clear.  When I accepted Him as my payment, I don't have to worry about going before the Water Board meeting someday, His Father.  That bill has already been paid.  (Psalms 103:11-12)

We walk among people (Friends, family, etc) who have leaky water lines.  There are gallons of sins that will have to be accounted for someday.  The bill will have to be settled.  Why do we find it hard to tell others about the Savior willing to pay for their bill in full?

Today, be the light.  Tell someone about Christ and what He has done for us. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment