Thursday, December 1, 2011

Now then.....

At some point in everyone’s life, there will come a time where life will get hard… and by hard, I mean really hard!  You might lose a job that you love and find yourself without an income.  Maybe you’ve had to move or sell your house, or had the bank foreclosed on you.  It may be a death of a loved one; a parent, a spouse.  It may even be that you will lose a child.  No matter what, at some point you are going to be hit with something that cripples you, and makes you want to quit doing life.  You want to draw up into a shell and hide away from this world because it just seems like you can’t go on anymore.

I’ve been there.  There have been a few times in my life where I have felt like God has left me alone to deal with something terrible.  I have even accused God of forgetting about me.  The truth of the matter is this:  how I feel has nothing to do with who God is or how He operates.  

I thought of this while reading Joshua 1 this morning.  Joshua just lost someone extremely important to Him.  Moses is dead.  God responds in this way:

 1 After the death of Moses the servant of the LORD, the LORD said to Joshua son of Nun, Moses’ aide: 2 “Moses my servant is dead. Now then, you and all these people, get ready to cross the Jordan River into the land I am about to give to them—to the Israelites.

I’m sure Joshua was devastated.  The conversation might have gone something like this”  “What now Lord?  Moses is dead!  We’re out here all alone!  I can’t do this God; I can’t lead these people without Moses!  I quit!”

God responded to Joshua.  In verse 2 I noticed two words that I have never noticed God say before in the Bible.  He told Joshua “Now then…”.   In other words, God says to Joshua “I know Moses is dead.  I know you are hurting, but I have something that I need you to do.  I am your God, and I am not finished with you Joshua.  You need to get up, get these people together and keep moving forward.  This is my plan, not yours!”

In the rest of the chapter, as God lays His plan out for Joshua, the Lord repeats this phrase over and over to him.  He says “Be strong and courageous."  The amazing thing is in verse 9 God reminds Joshua that it is a command, not a suggestion.  God commanded him to be strong and courageous. 

A few thoughts:

  • No matter what happens, don't give up.  EVER!
  • God never leaves His children.
  • God is never surprised or shocked.  Everything that happens in our lives happens for a reason.  He is sovereign and has everything under control.
  • It’s not about us, it’s about Him.  It has nothing to do with how we feel.  It has everything to do with His will.
  • God is compassionate and knows when you are hurting.  During those times He will comfort you, but He still intends to use you.  God never intends for us to draw up in a shell and hide from this world.  He intends for us to move forward and be strong and courageous. 

Several years ago my best friend took his own life.  It devastated me.  I was so angry and confused, and my first reaction was to quit.  It hurt me and everyone around him.  Since that time I have seen God do amazing things out of that situation, including people meeting Christ as their Savior.  I will never understand why it happened, but I have learned from that experience that God never left the scene.  He was right there.  He said “Ok, your friend is dead.  Now then, here is what I want you to do……”

No matter what has happened, or will happen in your life, realize that God still intends to use you for His glory.  Don’t let a situation cripple you.  Hear God say “Now then” and trust Him for your next step.  Life is hard, but we have a God who will never leave our side.  Lean on Him and keep moving forward.


No comments:

Post a Comment