Monday, August 8, 2011

My Father's Voice

When I was a little boy, I remember being able to pick my Daddy’s voice out of a crowd.  Sometimes it would be at a Clemson University football game.  I would be surrounded by thousands of people and be separated from him.  Just when I was about to panic, I would hear him say “Benji...” and I would turn in the direction where he was standing.  He never took his eye off of me.  He knew where I was the whole time.  I grew up with that voice, and I know it well.

When I was in high school, I enjoyed playing sports.  No matter what sport I played, I could always hear my Daddy’s voice.  Sometimes when it was loud, and the crowd was cheering for our team, his voice would be crystal clear.  When it came time for me to make a play, for some strange reason I could always hear my Daddy telling me “play defense” or “watch your left”.  Sometimes when I was at bat, I would hear my Daddy say “bust it” and it would give me the adrenaline I needed.  

Our relationship with our heavenly Father is no different.  If you are a child of God, He is constantly speaking to you.  In John 10:1-18 Jesus says “I am the shepherd, and my sheep know my voice.”  God speaks to His children everyday.

Some folks have told me that they literally “hear” God say things to them.  I have no reason to doubt them.  The Holy Spirit works in different ways with different people.  Other folks hear God in their heart.  I personally hear God speak to me in my heart and mind when it comes to matters of money, especially when He wants me help someone in need.  I know what that sounds like, and when I hear it, I pay careful attention.

All of God’s people can hear God speak through His word!  If you read your Bible and pray for the Holy Spirit to reveal what He wants you to hear, God will speak to you.  That is why the call it “The Living Word” because God and His word are one in the same.

A few points:

  • The reason I heard my Daddy’s voice above the noise was because we have spent a lot of time together.  I knew it as a child.  I still know it today.  In the same way, my son is beginning to hear my voice in crowds and knows my whistle that I make when getting his attention.  The same goes for us with God.  The more time we spend with Him in prayer and His word, the easier it is to hear Him.
  • Not all religions are the same.  If you are a Christ follower, then you serve the only living God.  Our God wants to speak to His children. 
  • Sometimes you have to be still to hear God speak.  Cut off the telephone, blackberry, television and stereo.  Sit still and spend time with God.  Maybe the reason you can’t hear Him is that you keep drowning Him out with day to day life. Quiet time with God is very important.  What is more important than hearing the voice of God?

Seek Him out daily.  He will speak when He sees fit.  What a great God we serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment