Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Healthy Fear

Yesterday afternoon I needed to get some work completed on my laptop, so I came home after lunch and sat down in my favorite chair.  I kicked my shoes and started typing on my computer.  Then something really strange happened that has never happened before to me:  my house moved!

The best way to describe it was a brief, queasy feeling in my stomach.  I hopped up out of my chair and went outside to see what was taking place.  Eventually I went back inside and went about my business.

Last night, my sister in Virginia called me.  She was really excited because yesterday afternoon she had experienced an earthquake.  I asked her “What?  When did that happen?”  She replied “Around 2:00pm this afternoon.”  

It then hit me:  I experienced the same earthquake too!  Never in my life did I ever think I would experience the earth move because I live in a part of the United States that doesn’t have many (if any) earthquakes.  Sure as the world, I felt one yesterday.

What is my point?  A few things:

  • Everyday I go through life doing day to day things.  I eat, sleep, bathe, work, etc.  Very seldom do I ponder.  Last night I went outside and looked up at the stars and began letting my mind wander about God.  My day had consisted of a sunrise in the morning, and earthquake in the afternoon, and my evening filled with stars twinkling.  I had an overwhelming fear rush over me.  God is very big and very powerful!  He caused all of those things to happen and was in control.  At that moment, I felt very small.  By letting my mind wander about God, I came to terms with the fact that someday I am going to stand face to face with that kind of power.

  • I read Isaiah 60 this morning.  God is speaking to us about the end times, and how He will restore us when He comes back.  In verse 22 God states “I am the Lord, in this time I will do this swiftly.”  I’m not sure what “in His time” and “swiftly” mean, but I am sure that God is going to come back (maybe while I’m alive or maybe after I’m gone) but either way, it’s going to happen.

  • Proverbs 1 say “The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge.”  I’m not scared of God, but I do fear Him.  We all should!  He is God and we are not.  Every now and then God reminds me, and for that I am thankful!

No comments:

Post a Comment