Monday, July 25, 2011

Forgotten God

From time to time, I will read a book that knocks me off of my feet.  The book “Forgotten God” by Francis Chan did just that.  I highly recommend it to anyone who would like to learn a scriptural view of the Holy Spirit, and how He interacts in our lives as Christians.

Let me unpack this for you:  somewhere along the way, I began to cultivate a warped view of the trinity (One God in three persons:  The Father, Jesus His Son, and the Holy Spirit).  I began to see God like a totem pole:  God the Father was the general, Jesus was 2nd in command, like a lieutenant, and the Holy Spirit was someone or something that I chose to ignore.  He sort of scared me, and it was much easier if I just didn’t think about Him too often.  

God convicted me of this earlier this year, and I dove head first into studying the Holy Spirit.  I began an in depth study of the book of Acts, and read several books by many different people.  Of all of the ones I read, “Forgotten God” was the one book that made total sense to me.  I truly believe Francis Chan was honest about feeling the same way I did, and decided to hit the issue head on instead of ignoring it.  I am so glad He did.  This book completely changed how I follow Jesus.  I can honestly say that I feel closer to God because I read this book.

If you want to grow in your walk with Jesus and grow closer with God, take a moment to read “Forgotten God”.  You’ll be the better for it!

Note:  Francis Chan is the founding pastor of Cornerstone Church in Simi Valley, California.  He is also the author of the best seller "Crazy Love".

No comments:

Post a Comment