Monday, June 13, 2011

Faithfulness vs. Feelings

Every week, I go through an array of emotions.  Even in a day’s time, I can go from happiness to anger, sadness to disappointment (sometimes very quickly).  Our lives are surrounded with events and situations that change at a moments notice.  Our emotions and feelings change with them.

Many times in our relationship with Jesus, we bring our emotions along with our walk with Him.  It is natural!  God made us that way, and it is nothing in which we should feel ashamed.  God made us in His image, and we have feelings just like He does. 

The problem occurs when we confuse how we feel vs. God’s faithfulness.  In other words, no matter how we feel, if we have given our lives to Christ Jesus then we are His.  PERIOD!  God is faithful to call us His children, and He doesn’t change.

1 John 1:9 says 9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.”

Sin is attached in our spiritual DNA, passed on from our parents Adam & Eve.  Each time we sin, we wrestle with guilt.  I do it,you do it, we all do it!  There have been times where I have left Church on a Sunday morning on an emotional high!  I have had a great time singing to God, hearing a great sermon, and seeing all of my brothers and sisters in Christ!  A few days later, I will be wrestling with the guilt of a sin that I have committed against God, and be saying to myself “There is no way God loves me anymore!!”  Even though I have felt that way before, God’s faithfulness never changed.  He is still there, He still loves us, and we are forgiven.

Don’t confuse what I am saying about sin:  God (through the Holy Spirit) is going to work on us our whole lives.  His goal is to sanctify us (make us better) and continue to whittle the rough sinful edges away so that we can look and act more like Jesus.  That is a painful process.  It takes time….a lifetime!  

What I am saying is that God doesn’t love you more or less today than He did yesterday.  He loves you consistently, and has loved you since before the creation of the world.  He knew you, he called you to salvation, and you belong to him through Jesus.  It can’t be thrown away.

Today, no matter how you feel, remember God is faithful!

No comments:

Post a Comment