Sunday, May 1, 2011

What is the 23rd Psalm?

I have heard the 23rd Psalm 1,000 times.  At every grave-side funeral I have ever attended, there is usually a minister who quickly reads it, says a quick prayer and then everyone goes home.

Psalm 23 is so much more than that!  It is for those who find their rest in Christ Jesus.  This portion of scripture is so applicable to our everyday lives.  I have heard it so much that I have almost become immune to how rich it really is.  Imagine if one of your friends called you on the phone and began speaking the 23rd Psalm in normal, everyday conversation.  It might sound something like this:

  • The Lord really takes care of me.  He looks after me all of the time, even when I stray.  He gives me everything I need.  I really don’t want for a single thing! 

  • Many times, He makes me slow down.  He gets my attention by making me be still.  That’s when  I hear what He is trying to say.  God restores my soul and gives me the encouragement that I desperately need!  Through His word, He helps me put one foot in front of the other and stay on the right path, the path of Righteousness.  He gets all of the glory from this!  What in the world can scare me?  Even if I am on death’s doorstep, I won’t be afraid of Satan because I belong to God!  He is always with me!

  • Sometimes I feel like a helpless lamb.  Every time His rod and staff comfort me.  His word is always there to help me along.  Even when bad things are all around me, He has prepared a place for me at His table to be with Him.  Because of Christ Jesus, I am adopted and anointed as His child.  I am blessed beyond my wildest imagination! 

  • Surely God's goodness and His love will be a part of my life for the rest of eternity, because I belong to Him.  On this earth and in heaven someday, I live with Almighty God!

Take a second and read Psalm 23 this week.  LISTEN CLOSE!  It's what we need to hear from a living God who loves His Children.

No comments:

Post a Comment